Have you been offered free capture/imaging software lately? Or are you competing against someone who is offering free imaging software? I’m sure most of us in ECM have come across this scenario. This blog isn’t about generalities about why free isn’t free, but specifics of why these solutions are not ready for prime time and may not be your best investment. Here are things we’ve learned about to ask those vendors when considering their technology:
- Will they do a POC (Proof of Concept) for you? Or even a custom demo?
- Will it cost you to put in the POC?
- What amount of time does it take the vendor to set that up for you?
- Does the application have the ability to be configured easily?
- Are there wizards for configuration? How long will it take to set up the software?
- Can you set up data base look ups through wizards?
- How do you search and retrieve existing batches to make modifications?
- How many of the references they provide were given “free” software?
- What does it cost year after year once its installed?
- What are the recognition rates, once set up?
- How much does it cost to pay for services to install the software and configure it?
- How many staff do they have to support you once the product is installed and there are issues?
- Have you ever been installed in financial services, retail, transportation? Or what are your references?
This blog is to arm you with things to look out for, so you get the best solution for your enterprise. Good luck with evaluations!
Vice President ILINX Capture and IBM/FileNet Sales